According to the Press Release of Ghana Medical Association (GMA), Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association(GRNMA), Health Services Workers’ Union of TUC (HSWU), Government and Hospital Pharmacists Association (GHOSPA) today, 9th July 2020, the data gathered indicate that over 779 contracted the coronavirus in the course of discharging their professional duties with 9 deaths as of 30th June 2020.
The following are the breakdowns;
190 members of the GMA tested positive for COVID-19 with 4 deaths
410 members of the GRNMA and its allied Associations ( Nurses and Midwives) have also tested positive for coronavirus with 1 death
156 members of the HSWU have contracted the virus with 3 deaths
23 members of the GHOSPA have tested positive to the virus with 1 death.
However, an overwhelming majority of health workers are in isolation as a result of the fact that they got exposed to those who have been infected with the virus in line of duty pending the results of their COVID-19 test done.
The Health Sector Unions and Professional Associations attributed the following as some of the causes to their woes;
- Inadequate PPEs
- Non-adherence to COVID-19 protocols and irregular disinfection of the health facilities
- the mangers of health facilities not disclosing to the other health workers when a co-worker test positive.
- when COVID-19 test results delay
- the break down of contact tracing within the facilities
- Inadequate quarantine centers within some health facilities for suspected cases
Further, on their Press Release, they also elucidated on the need for;
- Provision of enough PPEs
- More education on COVID-19 and stigmatization
- strict adherence of COVID-19protocols should be enforced by the security apparatus
- adequate spread of information to those health workers whose colleagues have tested positive for COVID-19 at the place of work.
- more COVID-19 testing centers throughout the country
- more quarantine centers within some health facilities for suspected cases
- Functional Infection, Prevention, and Control (Safety) Committees in all health facilities
Ghana coronavirus record as of today, 9th June 2020 indicates confirmed cases of 22,822, 17564 recoveries, 5129 active cases, 854 new cases with 129 deaths.